G&L Tribute Legacy 3TS
The Legacy’s vintage-spec CLF-100 Alnico V pickups have that unmistakable chime and quack reminiscent of the best examples from the late ‘50s, thanks to the work of Paul Gagon, G&L VP Engineering. Gagon found his inspiration reviewing original prints stored in Leo’s private laboratory at G&L, but that was just the start. About 30 years ago, Gagon was an R&D engineer at another company when he was tasked with finding out what was so special about the early bolt-on guitars many players raved about. Gagon tirelessly analyzed many examples of what were considered holy grail guitars, spending time out on the shop floor talking to builders still working in the pickup department since the ‘50s, all on a quest to discover where the real mojo was – and wasn’t. What he learned from the builders matched his own engineering analysis. You see, back in the day, the actual spec of pickups coming down that old production line varied considerably. That meant coming up with the right specs for the Legacy pickups was more challenging than simply following the prints. Gagon’s persistence paid off as the Legacy garnered rave reviews from both players and magazines like Guitar Player and Guitar World.
This axe is no slave to the past, however, starting with Leo’s PTB™ (Passive Treble and Bass) system which functions on all three pickups for dramatically more variety than the vintage setup. What’s more, the Legacy features a Leo Fender-designed Dual-Fulcrum vibrato, a work of engineering art which allows bending up or down with unsurpassed stability, while offering a silky feel through its beefy aluminum vibrato arm.
The Legacy is all about honest, classic Alnico tone complemented by Leo’s own modern refinements. And now, it’s available at a price within reach of every working musician. Once you play a G&L Tribute Series, you’ll never look back.
- • Candy Apple Red over basswood, 3-ply crème pickguard, clear satin neck finish with color-matched headstock, rosewood fingerboard
- • Lake Placid Blue over basswood, 3-ply white pickguard, tinted gloss neck finish, rosewood fingerboard
- • Gloss Black over basswood, tortoise pickguard, tinted gloss neck finish, maple fingerboard
- • 3-Tone Sunburst over swamp ash, 3-ply black pickguard, clear satin neck finish, rosewood fingerboard
- • Blueburst over swamp ash, pearl pickguard, tinted gloss neck finish, maple fingerboard
- • LEFTHANDED Blueburst over swamp ash, pearl pickguard, clear satin neck finish, rosewood fingerboard
- CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
- SCALE: 25 1/2"
- PICKUPS: G&L CLF-100 Alnico V single-coils made in Fullerton, California
- BODY WOOD: Swamp Ash on translucent and burst finishes, Basswood on solid finishes
- NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Rosewood fingerboard
- NECK WIDTH AT NUT: 1 5/8"
- NECK RADIUS: 12"
- NECK PROFILE: medium C
- FRETS: 22 medium jumbo, nickel
- TUNING KEYS: 18:1 ratio, sealed-back
- BRIDGE: Leo Fender-designed G&L Dual-Fulcrum™ vibrato
- CONTROLS: 5-position pickup selector, volume, treble, bass (PTB™ system)